Monday, August 10, 2009

Distractions

So who is excited? I just learned how to post pictures to my blog via my Cellphone. That means my posts are going to come with pictures! Eventually anyway. I just couldn't think of an int resting picture that even half way related to my topic for today. I'd even settle for loosely connected.

It has been brought to my attention that I am, apparently, a distraction to all work. Not to say that I do not work, because I do. Or I at least try to between people approaching my desk and talking to me about anything and everything that could have happened to them. I was actually informed recently that before I began my job, that no one talked to anyone very often at all. To be a little more clear, I believe it is more that everyone took their job more seriously before I started working in the office. Everyone knew their titles and positions, and everyone focused only on their high class work etiquette. Now before you all get the wrong idea and start thinking I am some sort of over-sized shoe waring clown let me give you my take on the situation.

For those of you who know me, I am fairly sure that the majority of you would all agree upon one thing about me. I am a nerd. The other thing I think most of you would also admit to, and perhaps have been embarrassed about (by me) is: I am a nerd and I have no qualms owning up to it. I am known to put it on display in the front window of my life-store on the corner of the busiest intersection. The thing about being yourself, and not being ashamed of your character traits, even if they aren't the most popular ones, is that you have the ability to make others feel secure in being who they are. If you can accept yourself for who you are (let's face it, sometimes it is harder to accept yourself for being who you are than it is to accept and allow someone else to be the goofy one) you will put a lot of people around you at ease.

There is always a time and place for professionalism, and there is always a time to work. There is a time to be serious, and all of these things I realize. In this society, in order to get by, we have moved work to the top of our list of importance. It is how/where we spend 85-90% of our day. I believe that is not a good thing. Everything should be practiced in moderation. Work is not an exception to this rule. Work is a necessity to a happy life, not only does it provide for us the money we need, but it has a hand in developing us mentally and socially as people. It keeps us from being lazy or bored, and hopefully keeps our minds sharp. Work has, however, come to be our lives, living to work instead of working to live. I believe this is all out of order. Working to support your family is a noble cause. My father dedicated 35 years of his life to one company, He worked from the time he got up to the time he went to bed. I never knew much about him because I never saw him. He was our provider and we have the house and clothes we have today only because of his hard work. I can tell you honestly, I would trade most of what I own to have a history with my father. To know him like I know my mom, to have a parent child relationship that we lack. We are often just two strangers living in the same house. I show him the respect that is due but it has never gone farther than that. I think that is a high price to pay for money. Work needs to be practiced in moderation. I've gotten semi-off topic.

All I mean to say is that you should love who you are at the core of it all. It doesn't matter if it is not a thing that is socially "cool" it is who you are, and it takes all types. When you can embrace and love who you are no matter what that may be, not only you, but the people around you will feel better about themselves. People will learn to open up and not be ashamed or shy to be excited about the things they like. People will find excuse to laugh and play jokes for a brief moment in the day. They will forget their suits and ties and return to the heart of who they are and what makes them feel happy. It's good to be you, it's good to be silly, go ahead, do it.


No comments: