Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Negativity = Hydra. Me = Heracles?

How is the positivity coming you ask?
Not so well.

It is pretty much a moment to moment struggle. Once you think you have cut off one strand of negativity, 3 more pop up in its place. It reminds me of the great mythical beast from the Greek stories, Hydra. It was said Hydra had more heads than the great vase-artists could paint (well isn't that specific? If you were painting on a tea kettle, well then you could probably fit them), and if you were to cut one off, two more grew in it's place. The similarities do not stop there, Hydra spewed poisonous fumes from its mouths. I've seen noxious fumes of negativity spewing from a great many mouths, sometimes my own. The more positive I try to be, the more green gas I seem to find seeping out of the many heads I come in contact with on a daily basis. The Hydra was defeated by Heracles as the second of his 12 labours (His penance for killing his kids...Greek myths are interesting). So, maybe I can draw some sort of inspiration about defeting my own hydra from the story.
Heracles first set about trying to kill the hydra from a distance, shooting flaming arrows into it's cave. Well this apparently had no affect at all. Of course, something this vile and challenging requires a hands on approach. So Heracles being the man of brains he was, covers his nose and mouth, walks in and sets to hacking it's heads off all willy-nilly. Heracles soon finds himself in a more dire situation than he started with. I think this is about the point in the process I find myself. Hacking away at this mighty hydra with an over sized straight pin. As soon as I think I have made progress I'm faced with even more acid spitting reptile heads than I started with. Heracles, seeing that he was massively and hopelessly outnumbered, calls for backup. He calls his nephew, Lolaus (lol). Within short order, Lolaus figures out that once you cut off a head you must cauterize it, burning the stump so no others can grow back. This leads to the eventual demise of the Hydra despite Hera's attempts to distract Heracles with a large crab. There are two different versions of this story, but either one you look at, the Hydra is defeated, but is not killed. One of the heads of the Hydra is immortal.
What I can draw from this is, 1. You need a sidekick in the fight against negativity. 2. You need fire. 3. Look out for crabs, and 4. You can cut it back, but it will never be gone for good. Oh yes it will always "rear its ugly head" again ... you had to see that one coming.

No comments: