Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Peer Pressure Sucks.

Between work, friends, and the general populace of hormone driven school girls, one cannot escape the Twilight book series. I've listend to the stories of how people have stayed up all night just to read the books, or read the heafty book in 1 day flat. Considering the general outlook on reading now-a-days, I must admit that is pretty remarkable. I have to say as of today, I have not read a single word of the Twilight series. This is due almost wholey in part to the fact they are so popular. The only other small percentage of why I have not read them is that I hold great contempt for someone that can turn out books as fast as they can bake cookies. On a literary level concerning skill, and DEPTH, exactly how much can they contain? I am a strong believer in the fact that books should not only entertain on the surface level, but they should, more importantly, teach us things on a deeper level. They should be veiled with meaning, requiring thought, and making us somehow, better, more knowlegable people after reading them. Classic books often took a life time to compose, and took readers more than a lifetime (the authors) to truly appriciate every small beautiful detail that was poured into it. However, these are all pre-conceptions about this series, I cannot pass legitamate judgement without at least reading one of the books. I suppose I cannot ignore the fact that they are so overwhealmingly popular, perhaps there is something to the craze, or perhaps it is another over-blown grocery store romance novel. I have to say I am not an Anne Rice fan in the least (you kiddies remember, Interview with a Vampire). I attempted to read the books after loving the movies, but found the writing far too puerile and sexual for my taste. I have a feeling these books will be the same, but I suppose I should find out. Who knows perhaps I too will fall into this Edward Cult, although I think I am entirely too pig-headed for that to happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had to laugh when reading the first sentence. lol Was just talking with a friend about the way she simply wrote "not twilight" in a Interests/Books listing, and the absurdity that a girl /wouldn't/ be a fan of Twilight. lol Pretty sure it's the destiny of women the world over to love and live by the words in Twilight!

In all seriousness, I can't stand the story or the excessive "this is SO romantic" vibe they're going after. Call me crazy, or maybe that's the male prerogative. lol Either way, I don't think you're exactly in the minority. The Twilight fans just seem to be the loudest.

- (Caiyuo from ffxidats, nice to see you're still writing!)