Monday, June 23, 2008

Certifiably Insane.

I've heard it over and over again through the years. "Don't work with family." You see silly little sitcoms about it, you hear it quoted by people who have never experienced it. If you go against this little tidbit, you will, for the rest of your life ware it as a badge of absolute truth. Don't work with family. The stress of running a business, and running a business's with people you are already obligated to look after because of family ties is a very bad combination. Take my word for it. The stress and worry is never ending, take a straw to the ocean and try to drink it. It's not going to happen. It's not what you think it is. It's not because your family is tiresome to see everyday, or that they are in some way tyrants of the workforce. Its simply that when you combine a stressful environment like a small business with people that are not 'disposable' or 'strangers' that you have to work the business around to take care of, its absolutely hell. Its almost completely impossible to look out for multiple people and run a small business, the money just isn't there. Today is all about little stresses, one on top of the other. People not showing up for work, being out of this or that, that 10lbs I gained on vacation that I can't get rid of to save my life. I have to start working out. I don't want to, who does? In the long run, I know I'll feel better if I do. So many little stresses. Little fish nibbling all day at your toes. It's enough to make you think your insane.

No comments: