Sunday, January 31, 2010

Write From the Point of View of a Strand of Hair.

I found a list of writing prompts from which I will pick random subjects and try to write creatively as possible from them. This one sounds pretty fun!

The View From The Top:

12:00 on a Wednesday. It's that time again. I arrive at the psychiatrist office and fall into the recliner. "So Harry.." She says, "Lets hear how you are feeling today." Well to be completely honest I feel strung out. No one really knows how rough my life is. Everyone assumes my life is glorious, sure "I'm on top of the world." Just because I can see it and hear it all from up here doesn't mean I'm immune to the constant abuse I get put through. I'm under appreciated and over worked. I feel like I'm constantly treated like an object. Ever since I was small I've been brushed into place, made to sit a certain way. Do you understand what it is like to have no freedom? You just want to be different for a little while, show your true self, maybe you are tired of the mundane, change is good sometimes. I've got no say so in all of it. There always seems to be a way to hold me down, all these troubles gooped on, sprayed on, I just feel like I want to fly away from here.

Even as I grew older, I was never good enough. I was never allowed to show my true colors as adolescent, everyone wanted me to be different. Can I help what I am? You can paint over me in every color you want but at the root of it all I will always be the same. I wish people could just learn to accept that. I mean, I feel like I deserve a little respect here. Why can't people appreciate the fact that I try every day to make things more beautiful. I try to frame the world in a way that makes it more appealing. I help to make some people regal, I make some people realize what they really are (and between you and me, that revelation often turns out to be 'old'). I'm there when someone wants to hide away from staring eyes, and I bring out character in others. I show people their heritage, and some people, I even keep them from just burning up! I do lots of good for other people.

I mean really. I'm at the wit's end. I just don't know what to do with myself. I have a constant feeling of constraint, like I'm being tied up in bands all the time. Pinned to the wall. Sometimes I get tired of being all business all the time, I really just wish people would let me down, let experience the wind and the sun. I need a vacation. I want to roam free and just hang about. It's all too much pressure sometimes. I am the crowning glory they say. Do you know what that is like?! That is a lot to live up to, eventually all that pressure just leaves you feeling a little worn and grey. If I'm too creative, I get ironed flat, if I'm too conservative I get feel like I am stretched thin around hot curlers. Everyone is always looking for me to change. appreciated. Abused. Tied down. One of these days I'm just going to give up and let go. I bet they will miss me then! But yea.. I guess that's how I feel it's not as fun as it looks.... sitting on top of the world. When you are in the spot light like that, everyone wants to change you.

1 comment:

Triban said...

Wow... spam comments.